Welcome to the website for the Chinley, Buxworth and Brownside Community
New Poppy Appeal Organiser
We’re delighted to welcome Tess Warburton to the Derbyshire Poppy Appeal team; Tess will be taking forward the Poppy Appeal in Chinley and Buxworth. The appeal begins on Thursday 26th October until Remembrance Sunday on 12th November. Tess will be delivering poppies to all the local business and schools, and will be setting up a poppy stand at ALDI.
If you would like to order a wreath from Tess or can volunteer a couple of hours to help man the stand at ALDI – please drop Tess a line.
Tel: 07772 464 749
- Furness Vale History Society presents The Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway.
Furness Vale History Society meets on Tuesday 3rd October when historian Chris Makepeace gives an illustrated talk about the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway which opened in 1857. The venue is Furness Vale Community Centre, Yeardsley Lane SK23 7PN at 7.30pm. Admission is £2 including refreshments. A licensed bar is also available.
- Toddler Group: Chinley Independent Chapel, The Wash. 1.15 – 3pm. £1.50 per family. Term time only.
- Modern Pilates: Chinley Community Centre. 9.45 – 10.45am. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01663 740088 for more details. This class is full.
- Community Swimming: Peak School Hydrotherapy Pool, Buxton Road, Chinley. 6.30 – 9pm. Quiet lane swimming. Limited places.
- Chinley Community Choir: Scout Hut, Chinley. 8 – 9.45pm. Adults £1 and Secondary aged children 50p. Email email@example.com for more details.
- Women’s Institute Coffee and Chat: Chinley WI Hall. 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 10am – 12pm. Everyone welcome.
- Parent & Toddler Group: Chinley Community Centre. 10 – 11.30am. £1.50 per family. Term time only.
- Informal Dog Walking Club: Informal meeting place for dog walkers who would like to walk in the company of others. Entrance of Bugsworth canal basin (opposite the Navigation Inn carpark in Buxworth). 10am. Phone Caroline on 07800 819901 for more details.
- Exercise to Music Class: Come and enjoy some fun and fitness to the sounds of the 60’s. All abilities welcome. Chinley Community Centre. 1.30 – 2.30pm. £4.50 per session. For more information contact Bridget on 01663 751166.
- Craft Club: Chinley Community Centre. 2 – 4pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Linda on 01663 750448.
- Brownies: Term time only. Email email@example.com or go to the Girlguiding UK website for more details.
- Women’s Institute Evening Meeting: Chinley WI Hall. 1st Tuesday of the month (except January). 7.30pm. Visitors/new members always welcome. Phone the Secretary on 01663 732890 for more details.
- Chinley and Buxworth Women’s Fellowship: Chinley WI Hall. 2nd and 4th Tuesday’s of the month. 7.45pm. Meetings are informal. Find more information about events and speakers in Chinley launderette window.
- Book Group: Chinley Community Centre. 3rd Tuesday of each month, 8 – 9.30pm. Phone Liz on 01663 750640 for more details.
- Book Swap & Drop: Chinley Community Centre. 9.30 – 11.30am (hot drinks and cakes served) and 7.30 – 9pm (unmanned). Phone Liz on 01663 750640 for more details.
- Breastfeeding Group: Tea on the Green, Chinley. 10 – 11am. Just turn up to chat with other parents and local health visitors. All welcome regardless of feeding methods. Contact Breastmates on 07768 540951 for more details.
- Chinley Drop In: Parish Rooms, Lower Lane. 10am – 12pm. All welcome – just turn up.
- Walking for Health: Very easy 10 minute walk starting from Chinley Community Centre at 11.30am. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Line Dancing: Chinley Community Centre. 1.30 – 3.30pm. £2.50 per session plus 50p for tea and biscuits. Phone Marjorie Jackson on 01298 22836 for more information.
- We invite everyone who is affected by dementia to join us for Musical Memories: a musical gathering and community singing group where we will all have a sing, drink tea and eat cake! 2-4pm, every other Wednesday. For further information, contact email@example.com or 07422 964 627
- Street Dance and Musical Theatre for Children: Chinley Community Centre. 4 – 7.25pm. Samantha Wood Theatre Company. Phone Sue on 07785 787771 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Katy’s Cardio Kettles: Chinley Women’s Institute Hall. 6.30pm – 7.30pm. £4 per class. Just turn up. Email email@example.com for more details or phone Katy on 07923 462203.
- Chess Club: Buxworth War Memorial Club. 7.45pm. Free. Just turn up. See buggychess.org for more details.
- Craft Club: Chinley Community Centre. 7 – 9pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Linda on 01663 750448.
- Netball (women and girls over 14): Chinley Community Centre Hard Court. 7.15 – 8.30pm. £2 adults, £1 students. Email email@example.com for more details.
- Beginners Pilates: Chinley Community Centre. 9.45 – 10.45am. £6 per session. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01663 740088 for more details.
- Pilates (all levels): Chinley Community Centre. 7.30 – 8.30pm. £3.50 per class or £17.50 for six sessions. Email email@example.com for more details.
- Guides: Term time only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the Girlguiding UK website for more details.
- Over 35’s Football (casual 5-a-side): Chinley Community Centre Hard Court. 7.30 – 9pm. £2. Email Wilkins.Steve@sky.com for more details.
- The Chinley, Buxworth and Brownside Parish Council meeting is held monthly on the fourth Thursday of each month at 7:30pm, except for August and December when there is no meeting.
- Chinley Drop In: Parish Rooms, Lower Lane. 10am – 12pm. All welcome – just turn up.
- Yoga: Chinley Community Centre. 10.30am – 12pm, with Sarah. For full details contact email@example.com or call 01298 814 470 / 07930 488 087.
- Walking for Health: Easy 30 minute walk starting from Tea on the Green, Chinley at 1pm. Phone Richard Leyshon on 07545 420593 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Family swimming: Peak School Hydrotherapy Pool, Buxton Road, Chinley. Limited places. Email Charlotte Harrison email@example.com to enrol.
- Katy’s Kettles: Chinley Community Centre. 9.30 – 10.30am. £4 per class. Just turn up. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or phone Katy on 07923 462203.
- Samantha Wood Theatre Company: Chinley Community Centre. 11-1.30. Phone Sue on 07785 787771 or email email@example.com for more details.
- Friends of Chinley Park Working Parties: Stubbins Lane Park. 2nd Saturday of each month. 10am – 1pm. Just turn up – we are always looking for volunteers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Table Tennis: Chinley Community Centre. 1.30pm – 3.30pm. £1.50. Just turn up. Check the Community website calendar to ensure it is running. Email email@example.com or phone Graham on 07702 933585 for more details.
- Footy Totz: Chinley Community Centre, 9.40-12.10 Contact Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bugsworth Basin Heritage Trust Working Days: Bugsworth Basin. Fortnightly. Just turn up – we need more volunteers. Email Ian email@example.com or go to http://bugsworthbasin.org/pages/volunteer.html for more information.
- Chinley Community Cinema: Chinley Community Centre. 2nd Sunday of each month. 3pm, children’s film. 7pm, adult’s film. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the mailing list.
Other Activities and Groups
- Scouting Group: For more details about Beavers, Cubs, Scouts or Explorers, see the pages here or contact the Group Scout Leader. Email email@example.com.
- High Peak Running Group: Beginners and new runners always welcome! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or find us on Facebook.
- Chinley Churners Cycling Group: Informal road and mountain biking group. Email Nik Cook email@example.com for more information or find us on Facebook.
- Chinley Fishes Swimming Lessons: At Peak School. Phone Jenny Law on 07773 689919 for more information.
- Buxworth Cricket Club: Juniors and seniors. Phone Mark Drabble on 07866 980392 for more information.
We are disappointed to say that the bid to Big Lottery Fund for the new community centre has been turned down.
However, after the work on the Community Vision, your involvement in telling us what was needed and your overwhelming support for the plan, we will not be deterred.
We know that the lottery fund, in its final months, was hugely oversubscribed and highly competitive. The fund closed in January, and although a new capital fund will open at some point, they can’t yet say when.
In the meantime, we will take stock, and prepare a revised scheme, to submit when a new capital fund opens.
We have been advised that the new fund will not offer the same level of investment. As such, we will be considering cheaper, one storey options, without the changing rooms built underneath, into the slope. This proposal had huge support from the community, as it made best use of the restricted site footprint, but we will have to reconsider this.
We will regroup and refine the plan, involving you along the way in the consultation, as we develop Plan B. We always knew that it would be challenging to bring lottery funding on this scale, to a community such as ours, but we will keep trying.
All funds raised for the new building to date remain ring fenced for the new building fund. No locally raised funds have been spent on the process to date, so we will continue to work hard at raising the match funding that will be needed for the revised scheme.
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Chinley Station turns 150
Chinley station — after which the village is named — was opened on 2 February 1867. Read more about it here.